Monday 13 January 2014

Notes on Notes

I wrote my first piece on club culture around three in the morning some time 
last year. It was the first prose I had completed since giving up on 
becoming a famous and understated writer of my time, at the ripe old age 
of nine. After a handful of reviews I was set on creating this blog and edited 
the article little before publicising. I now offer an attempt to plug a few of the 
gaping rationale holes presented in the first edit.

The first time around, I completely omitted the fact that men, too can be 
victims of sexual violence. This is a danger that comes with damagingly 
skewed perceptions of its own due to the banter associated with such acts.

I also in no way put the entirety of blame on female victims of abuse in clubs
and the way in which they dress. People can be sexually assaulted in their 
old age, as an act by groups who use rape as a weapon or repugnant 
'corrective' method for homosexual women in certain parts of sub-Saharan Africa, or simply as a result of being in the wrong place at the 
wrong time. These are instances when individuals have little to no control 
over the crime but I simply urge individuals to give an extra moment's 
thought to how they might make it hope safer at the end of the next night out 
because you are immediately that bit more vulnerable to events that can 
change your life in a heartbeat.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the standard student night life as long 
as we look out for fellow students- and that's all I'll say on that before I start 
sounding too much like a student safety leaflet.

No comments:

Post a Comment